Terms of Consent
You have your genetic data and you want to be part of DNA.Land? Great! Before you can be part of our community, we want to tell you a few things about DNA.Land, make sure you know what is the website, what participation entails, and the risks and benefits. Remember: If you do decide to participate, you are free to withdraw your consent and to discontinue participation at any time, no questions asked. Your participation is entirely voluntary. We thank you for considering being part of our community.
DNA.Land is a place where you can learn more about your genome. The website is part of DNA.Land Genomics LTD, a Canadian company. Please note that the website is no longer associated with academic and research institutes. One goal of this service is to help you interpret genomic data from consumer genomics companies. In addition, we may offer you additional services related to your data.
After you provide consent, your participation will consist of creating your personal profile and uploading your genetic data to DNA.Land. We will use advanced genetic tools to analyze your data and may return your results regarding ancestry, relatives, and different traits, among other things. As we want to learn about the genetic basis of different traits, we may ask you to fill out surveys relating to your (or your family’s) ancestry and health. We reserve the right to offer you additional services in the future or to remove services at our sole discretion.
Confidentiality and Privacy
We value your contribution to DNA.Land and to scientific research and respect your privacy. We are quite familiar with this matter. Our research on genetic privacy was featured in the mass media, including the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal and leading scientific journals, including Science, Nature Reviews Genetics, and PLoS Biology. Therefore, we pledge the following guidelines that in our perspective will lessen most of the risks (but not elimintating them):
- By default, other users of DNA.Land will not have the option to download or observe the personal identifiers in your profile, your contact information, your individual-level survey results, genealogy data, GEDCOM files, individual-level genomic data, or any data that you upload to the website (collectively, “Personal Data”), without your consent.
- If you do decide to connect your social media profiles with DNA.Land, we will never share your genomic data or survey data with any of the social media websites.
- We may share aggregated data with other researchers, entities, or companies. For example, we will mix your genomic information with a large number of genomes before sharing and only share the average allele frequencies with other researchers but not your email address or any other information.
- We may share your Personal data with a selected number of partners of DNA.Land. These partners will have to maintain good security practices, respect your consent, and comply with relevant regulation. You can opt-out from this option in your Setting page.
- We may release Personal Data if required to do so by law, or if such action is necessary to comply with state or federal laws or respond to a court order, subpoena, law enforcement or regulatory request, or search warrant.
- In the event that DNA.Land, or a substantial part of its assets or stock are acquired, transferred, disposed of, you agree that your Personal Date can be transffered, licensed, assigned, and/or transmitted (collectively, "Transmission") to another party ("Acquiring Party") under the condition that the Acquiring Party will maintain the option to allow deletion of your Personal Data for at least 180 days following the date of Transmission.
We also have a skin-in-the-game philosophy (we are participating too). We made owr genomes publicly available ( Dr. Erlich's genome ). We are in this together.
Code of Conduct
We also have some expectations of you. You agree not to use DNA.Land to promote hate, discrimination, or violence towards groups or individuals based on race, ethnicity, religion, sexual preference, gender, age, health data, income, or family heritage or to use DNA.Land for any illegal activity. We reserve the right to delete user profiles, report, and/or Personal Data, and block access at our sole discretion.
There are no physical risks in participating in DNA.Land but there may be information risks.
We are going to provide you with information about your ancestry, traits, and relatedness with other individuals. You might learn unexpected findings about you or your family. These can include finding a certain ethnic heritage, predisposition for a trait, or a non-paternity event in your family (all examples are from people that we know and have worked with). For some, such information is empowering; for others, these findings may cause anxiety and discomfort.
As stated above, we will do our best to protect the information you provide to us. Despite our efforts, we cannot guarantee that your identity and/or Personal Data will never become known, which could have significant implications in some scenarios. We estimate that the risk for such a confidentality breach is low but not zero.
The DNA.Land services are provided as-is. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the algorithms in the website. Moreover, as our data is based on genomic data that you obtained from other companies, inaccuracies in your data may affect your results. In the past few years, several reports, including our own work, indiciated that law enforcement and other entities use consumer genomics websites to identify DNA samples. By being part of DNA.Land, you acknowledge and accept this possibility. We at DNA.Land will do our best to prevent any law enforcement access that does not comply with the DoJ interim policy about investigative genetic genealogy but cannot completely eliminate this risk.
DNA.Land Genomics LTD shall have no liability to you. You acknowledge and agree that DNA.Land is provided solely for your convenience. If the foregoing limitation of liability is found to be unenforceable, DNA.Land Genomics LTD liability to you for any cause of action arising from a DNA.Land will be limited to any amount paid by you to DNA.Land during the twelve (12) months preceding such cause of action. Some states or jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties, so some of the above limitations may not apply to you. Further, some jurisdictions prohibit the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages, so the above limitations may not apply to you.
You agree that all claims must be brought in each party's individual capacity and not as a representative plaintiff or class member in any purported class or representative proceeding. By creating an account, using DNA.Land, or uploading data, you agree to waive the right to participate in a class action claim.
DNA.Land Genomics LTD is in charge of this website. If you have questions, please contact us.
I have read the consent form and all my questions about the the website and my part in it have been answered. I understand that my participation is voluntary and I freely consent to participate.
I expressly authorize the collection, processing, use, and disclosure of my data as indicated in the Confidentiality section.
I permit DNA.Land to contact me. I confirm that the data submitted to DNA.Land belongs to me or that I was explicitly authorized by the data owner to submit it on his or her behalf.
I understand that this website may lead to new products, research tools, or inventions that have financial value. By accepting the terms of this consent, I understand that I will not be able to share in the profits from future commercialization of products developed from this study.
I understand that the information served by DNA.Land is only for educational and research purposes and it is experimental by nature. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
I understand that DNA.Land has the right to change the terms of this consent in the future.
By accepting the terms of this consent form I have not given up any of my legal rights. I am free to withdraw my consent at any time and free of charge without providing a reason. I understand that results may be published and cannot be destroyed.